Trump Threatens to Cut WHO Funding
Wednesday, 8 April 2020 23:49 WIB | GLOBAL |Global

The United States is "going to put a very powerful hold on money it sends to the World Health Organization, President Donald Trump said on Tuesday, blaming the United Nations humanitarian entity of missing the onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"They called it wrong. They missed the call, Trump told reporters at the White House, implying that it may have done so out of deference to China, where the novel coronavirus was first reported.

"They seem to be very China-centric, the president said. "We have to look into that.

The United States is the largest contributor to the WHO.

When asked by a reporter whether it would be prudent to strangle funding to the organization amid a pandemic, the president denied he said he was doing that, modifying his remark to "we're going to look at it.

The WHO did not immediately comment on Trump's remarks.

Hours earlier, U.N. Spokesman Stephane Dujarric rejected general criticism of the WHO, saying it "has done tremendous work on COVID, including providing global guidelines, assisting governments with training and sending millions of pieces of equipment to help countries respond to the outbreak.

Meanwhile, President Trump is brushing off reports about his administration's internal early warning that the new coronavirus could cost the U.S. economy trillions of dollars and kill on a massive scale.

Trump's trade adviser, Peter Navarro, sounded an initial alarm on Jan. 29, when there were already confirmed cases of COVID-19 in more than a dozen countries, with a memo to the National Security Council.

"I didn't see it, Trump said of Navarro™s memo, describing it as "a recommendation. It was a feeling that he had.

A subsequent written warning by Navarro to the NSC on Feb. 23 noted a "full blown COVID-19 pandemic could infect as many as 100 million Americans and kill between 1 million and 2 million, according to White House sources.

"I'm a cheerleader for this country. I don't want to create havoc and shock, said Trump, indicating that even if he had been aware of the dire predictions at the time he would not have made them public.

Source : VOA

RELATED NEWS

Hong Kong Legislature Passes Controversial National Anthem Law
Thursday, 4 June 2020 23:26 WIB

Hong Kong's legislature Thursday passed a controversial law to forbid ridicule of the Chinese national anthem amid widespread opposition. The move came on the 31st anniversary of the crackdown on the Tiananmen pro-democracy movement, with activists defying a police ban to hold commemorations in a d...

Doctors Kept Close Eye on Trump's Use of Malaria Drug
Thursday, 4 June 2020 18:52 WIB

The White House medical team kept a close eye on President Donald Trump's heart rhythms, including at least one electrocardiogram, to watch for potential side effects when he took a two-week course of a malaria drug to try to prevent the coronavirus, his doctor reported Wednesday. "The President co...

Brazil Posts New Record of Coronavirus Deaths in Single Day
Thursday, 4 June 2020 10:17 WIB

Brazil announced Tuesday that it has recorded another one-day record of coronavirus deaths. The Health Ministry said it had confirmed another 1,262 COVID-19 deaths, bringing the total death toll to 31,199, with the number of total confirmed cases now at 555,383, second only to the United States, wh...

Indigenous Australians Show Solidarity With US Protesters
Wednesday, 3 June 2020 23:40 WIB

As protests take place in the United States of America, indigenous families who have had bad experiences with law enforcement say police brutality is a serious problem in Australia. Aboriginal Australians make up about 3 percent of the total population, but almost a third of the prison population ar...

Global Outrage Grows at George Floyd's Death
Wednesday, 3 June 2020 18:31 WIB

Outrage is growing across the globe at the death of George Floyd, the African American man who died last week after being detained by police on a city street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The European Union's top diplomat, Josep Borrell, said in Brussels that Floyd's death resulted from an abuse of po...

ANOTHER NEWS
Hong Kong Legislature Passes Controversial National Anthem Law
Thursday, 4 June 2020 23:26 WIB Hong Kong's legislature Thursday passed a controversial law to forbid ridicule of the Chinese national anthem amid widespread opposition. The move came on the 31st anniversary of the crackdown on the Tiananmen pro-democracy movement, with...

DISCLAIMER

Seluruh materi atau konten yang tersaji di dalam website ini hanya bersifat informatif saja, dan tidak dimaksudkan sebagai pegangan serta keputusan dalam investasi atau jenis transaksi lainnya. Kami tidak bertanggung jawab atas segala akibat yang timbul dari penyajian konten tersebut. Semua pihak yang mengunjungi website ini harus membaca Terms of Service (Syarat dan Ketentuan Layanan) terlebih dahulu dan dihimbau untuk melakukan analisis secara independen serta memperoleh saran dari para ahli dibidangnya.