Britain Accuses Iran of Trying to Block Oil Tanker in Gulf
Thursday, 11 July 2019 23:45 WIB | GLOBAL |Global

Britain said Thursday that Iranian vessels tried to "impede the passage" of a British oil tanker through the Strait of Hormuz.

A government statement said three Iranian vessels were involved with the incident, and that they backed off when they received a warning from a British warship.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards denied Britain's accusation.  A statement carried by the semi-official Fars news agency said Guards patrol boats carried out normal duties and had "no clashes with alien boats, especially English boats."

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani had warned Wednesday that Britain would face unspecified "consequences" over the seizure last week of an Iranian oil tanker suspected of transporting oil to Syria in violation of sanctions.

Revolutionary Guards Deputy Commander Rear-Admiral Ali Fadavi described the seizure as an act of "stupidity ...a trait the American president has in spades and the British to some extent."

Tensions in the Persian Gulf have escalated between Iran and the United States and its allies since Washington stepped up economic sanctions against Tehran and moved to halt its oil exports as a part of a "maximum pressure" policy to force Iran to end actions deemed to undermine regional security.

Tensions began to heighten in May 2018 when U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from a 2015 agreement with Iran and a group of world powers to contain Tehran's nuclear program. In response, Iran recently exceeded uranium enrichment limits in violation of the agreement.

British Defense Minister Penny Mordaunt said the United Kingdom is concerned about Thursday's disputed incident and urged Iran to "desecalate the situation."

The U.S. 5th Fleet in Bahrain and the U.S. Central Command declined to comment but China and Russia, both signatories to the Iran nuclear deal, also called for restraint.

Source : VOA

RELATED NEWS

Former Nazi Guard, 93, Goes on Trial in Germany
Friday, 18 October 2019 10:45 WIB

A 93-year-old former concentration camp guard went on trial in Germany Thursday for abetting in the murder of more than 5,000 people. Bruno Dey was 17 when he began working as a guard at the Stutthof camp near what was then Danzig, and is now Gdansk in Poland. Dey stands accused of being an access...

Pence Pushes Erdogan to Halt Attack on Kurdish Fighters
Friday, 18 October 2019 04:56 WIB

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday pushed Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for a cease-fire to end his military assault against Kurdish fighters in northern Syria, an offensive Erdogan initiated after President Donald Trump withdrew nearly all American troops from the battlefront. Pen...

U.K. Faces Last Chance to Avoid No-Deal or Delay: Brexit Update
Thursday, 17 October 2019 17:25 WIB

The European Union is warning that Thursday™s summit may be the last chance to avoid a cliff-edge choice between another delay to Brexit and the economic damage of the U.K. leaving without a deal. The prospects of an agreement at a crucial EU leaders™ gathering in Brussels receded on Thursday m...

US Renews Call for 'Humane' Solution to Hong Kong
Thursday, 17 October 2019 10:47 WIB

U.S. officials are renewing their call for a "humane" solution to the situation in Hong Kong, where ongoing protests show no immediate sign of ending. Earlier in an interview with Fox Business Network on Wednesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said protesters in Hong Kong are asking the Chinese g...

White House Assigned '3 Amigos' to Head Ukraine Policy, Top Diplomat Says
Thursday, 17 October 2019 03:50 WIB

A top U.S. State Department official told House investigators privately Tuesday administration officials told him to "lay low" on matters involving Ukraine in deference to the "three amigos" who assumed control of foreign policy toward the Eastern European ally, Democratic Congressman Gerald Connoll...

ANOTHER NEWS
Hong Kong, Shanghai stocks end with losses
Friday, 18 October 2019 15:22 WIB Shares in Hong Kong and Shanghai sank on Friday after data showed China's economy growing at its slowest pace for almost 30 years. The Hang Seng Index fell 0.48 percent, or 128.91 points, to 26,719.58. The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index fell...

DISCLAIMER

Seluruh materi atau konten yang tersaji di dalam website ini hanya bersifat informatif saja, dan tidak dimaksudkan sebagai pegangan serta keputusan dalam investasi atau jenis transaksi lainnya. Kami tidak bertanggung jawab atas segala akibat yang timbul dari penyajian konten tersebut. Semua pihak yang mengunjungi website ini harus membaca Terms of Service (Syarat dan Ketentuan Layanan) terlebih dahulu dan dihimbau untuk melakukan analisis secara independen serta memperoleh saran dari para ahli dibidangnya.